J2-M172 Haplogroup Research is a citizen science project about the Y-chromosomal haplogroups positive for M172 and/or L228 and/or equivalents. The Research team relies heavily on public samples from DTC Y-DNA tests. The support focus is on the FTDNA J2-M172 Project open to join for FTDNA kits, Genographic Project kits and after a transfer for a small fee also for Y-DNA results from Ancestry, GeneTree, and Sorenson’s SMGF.
Benefits FTDNA J2-M172 Project
- Compare your haplotype to people of all surnames and ethnic groups, and from countries all over the world. This may allow you to gain insight into your family’s early origins.
- Get assigned to a subgroup (cluster) based strictly on cluster analysis of marker values, and your SNP results. Ethnic labels on some subgroups are “after the fact” descriptions, not criteria for inclusion.
- Hear about the latest J2-SNPs that are discovered, developed and that become available for ordering, with guidance on who will benefit by testing them.
- See your subgroup status updated according to the latest data analysis and SNP information available.
- You can help: if you see members of Haplogroup J2 show up in your surname, ethnic, or geographical project, or in Ysearch search results, etc., who are not members of the J2-M172 Project, please ask them to join! Especially if their haplotypes look unusual or different from others you’ve seen.