The Team as independent volunteers cannot carry out research on relations in individual kit family lineages (genealogical time, private and historical haplogroups, nearest matches) in this large project which includes the entire old J2 haplogroup and many thousands of participating kits/samples.
See FAQ page for frequently asked questions, ask in J2@FTDNA Project Activity Feed or in Facebook J2-M172 Haplogroup group page. More Info at ISOGG Wiki Y-DNA Project Help, Anthrogenica Forum Y-DNA J.
Y-DNA DTC Tests Paternal Line
Every genealogically connected surname/clan for genetic genealogy and serious research should consider:
- Y-37 at FamilyTreeDNA with the biggest DTC Y-STR database, Y-STR Matching is in use since ca. 2000
- Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS) for precise Y-Tree positioning and matching (Y-SNP and Y-STR), in use since ca. 2014
- Big Y (inclusion in Y-DNA Haplotree), raw data file is optional purchase, mt and autosomal not included;
- WGS 30x+ (90+ Gbases) offers highest accuracy:
YSEQ WGS400 or WGS30 (includes Y/mt analysis, raw data),
FullGenomes WGS20x+ (not for EU, includes Y/mt analysis, raw data);
- YFull upload of raw data for inclusion in J2 YTree and much more (scientific and ancient samples);
For Expert Y-DNA Researchers
- YSEQ STR Panels, Haplogroup Panels & SNPs
- Dante Labs WGS 30x, maybe others like Nebula Genomics
- Y-Upload/Services for WGS: ydna-warehouse (free), mitoYDNA;
Share Results – Join Public Projects
Take every opportunity to advance the research and knowledge. Join the available Projects and ressource:
- J2-M172 Project@FamilyTreeDNA
- Affiliated Sub-Haplogroup Projects @FamilyTreeDNA
- YFull Groups: J2a, J2b, etc.
- YSEQ J2, etc.
Learn & Discuss
- ISOGG Wiki Y-DNA Project Help
- Projects Activity Feeds
- Facebook J2-M172 Haplogroup
- Anthrogenica Forum Y-DNA J
- Look around on this page
- Resource to gain a clearer picture about the history and nature of the fascinating Y-DNA haplogroup J2 (J-M172), and especially, its sub-clade structure and the geographical dispersion and distribution of ethnic groups among the clades.
- Discover where a kit/sampe/lineage fits into the big family tree of J2 and find new defining SNPs. Updated versions of the haplogroup tree can only be kept by automatic systems and possibly refined trough manual research by combining data. Since 2019 only done in subprojects with less total members.
- Increase participation in countries (and ancestry places) with few NextGenSeq J2 results to find more informative clusters in historical time: Turkey, Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Russia (North Caucasus, Murmansk), Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Syria, Israel, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, UAE, Oman, Yemen, Egypt, Sudan, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Somalia, Libya, Tunisia, Algeria, Morocco, Greece, Balkans, Italy, Austria, France, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka, China (Tibet), Vietnam, Indonesia, Madagascar.